Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

It's Laundry Time! The DiY way



Alright so now we have the Washing Soda we are ready to use it in some DiY Laundry Soap! 
The recipe that I based mine on is on David Suzuki's Site  here  
I will add pics when I make my next batch.


Here are the ingredients you will need:  Washing Soda, Borax, 1 bar of Ivory soap and Water and baking soda.  You can add some drops of essential oils if you want a nice scent.  There is also other things you can use instead of the Ivory soap: soap granules found in health food stores, Fels Naptha Bar, or really any laundry bar or soap bar. 


OK I kind of tweeked the recipe to what I liked. 


1 cup Borax 
1 cup Washing Soda
I bar of Ivory Soap flaked. Look here to see how I turned it into flakes. You can also grate the bar. 
1/2 cup baking soda
Water
First you need to heat the soap flakes in 1 litre (4 cups) of water, until it dissolves. Add the borax, washing soda and baking soda to the mixture.  Stirring till well mixed.Do not let it boil over.   Pour into bucket and 6 litres of hot tap water.  Leave for 24 hours covered. 


This mixture will gel up. Stir and add to whatever container you want to store it in. I'm using old detergent bottles I have around. 


I use a cap full with each laundry load.  Swish the bottle around before using each time. 


You could also add fragrance oils to the mix but I haven't tried that yet. 


I have found that our clothes come out softer and do have a clean smell to them.  Love it! 


Here is another recipe that uses Dawn dish soap  that I found on One Good Thing by Jillee's site


3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish soap



Put these ingredients in a one gallon jug. Pour 4 cups boiling water into the jug. Swirl until ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Let liquid cool. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. The bubbles will overflow out of the bottle.


I have tried this version and love it.  It is fast to make and works great. 


Have fun trying out your new laundry soaps!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment